What Care I Should Take During And After Dental Crown Or Bridge
Please follow below guidelines for the best outcome during and after Crown and Bridge Treatment
A guide to what you should expect and what care or precautions you should take after tooth preparation is done for a dental crown or a bridge and also after you receive a dental crown or a bridge on a prepared tooth/teeth:
What You Should Expect
- It is common to feel mild sensitivity to hot and cold in a prepared tooth that is going to receive a dental crown or a bridge. If sensitivity to hot and cold is severe, please contact us.
- Following tooth preparation for a crown or a bridge, usually a temporary acrylic crown is placed on prepared tooth which protects the tooth from damage and also maintains the space while final restoration (Crown or bridge) is prepared.
- Temporary acrylic crowns are cemented with temporary cement so that we can easily remove them when final restoration (crown or bridge) is prepared and we are ready for its cementation.
- As this temporary crowns are cemented using temporary cement there are chances that they may come off, in such a case please slip the crown back to its place and contact us immediately to get an appointment.
- If the crown is too loose on tooth and you are unable to visit us on the same day due to any reason then remove the crown and keep it with you until you visit us. Loose crown may be swallowed accidentally so please don’t slip it back on your own.
- In some cases you might feel mild pain after receiving a crown or bridge, especially while chewing. The pain should go away in 1-3 days. If pain persists for more than 3 days, please contact us to determine cause of pain.
- If you have severe pain after receiving crown or bridge, please contact us immediately.
- Avoid eating anything very sticky like chewing gum; these may pull out the crown or bridge.
- If the procedure was done under local anesthesia, you may feel numbness for 3-4 hours in certain parts of your mouth and face. If numbness persists for more than 12 hours, please contact us.
- Regular dental checkups are essential to determine the integrity of crown or bridge and also for maintenance of general oral health.
What Care Or Precautions You Should Take After Tooth Preparation
- Avoid hot and cold food for a few days until you receive a crown or bridge on the prepared tooth/teeth.
- It is common to have some discomfort in the gums around the prepared tooth after the anesthesia wears off. If it continues for more than 1 day, please contact us.
- If you have received a temporary crown, do not eat or drink anything for 1 hour and do not rinse you mouth with water, mouthwash or any other liquid for 1 hour.
- Avoid eating anything too hard from that side until you receive a final crown or a bridge on prepared tooth.
- In case if you are not given a temporary crown on prepared tooth then avoid eating anything from that side until you receive a crown or a bridge on it.
- Resume regular brushing and flossing after 1 hour of temporary crown cementation.
- If anesthesia was given in lower jaw than please avoid eating anything until the anesthesia wears off and the numbness is gone.
What Care Or Precautions You Should Take After You Receive A Crown Or A Bridge On Prepared Tooth
- Do not eat or drink anything for 1 hour.
- Do not rinse you mouth with water, mouthwash or any other liquid for 1 hour.
- Resume regular brushing and flossing after 1 hour of crown or bridge cementation.
- If you have received a crown or a bridge on your front tooth/teeth, avoid biting with front tooth/teeth. Example: Avoid taking a bite from apple with you front teeth. Apple should be cut into pieces and eaten with back teeth.
- You may feel that your bite is uneven and there is something on biting surface of your teeth while chewing. If this feeling does not go away within 1 day please contact us immediately as you might have high points which may require little adjustment to give you maximum comfort while chewing.
- After the cementation of final crown or bridge, it is very essential to do gum massage for at least 15 days.
- If you have been prescribed any medication, take it regularly according to prescription and do not alter the schedule or duration of medication without consulting your dentist.
Perfect Dental® is the best dental clinic in Jamnagar and our team of specialist doctors is highly skilled and experienced best dentists in Jamnagar. We have a highest success rate of 97%.