At Perfect Dental® we always use latest and the best in dentistry
Teeth Splinting Therapy (Perio-splint) is regarded as an integral part of periodontal therapy because it is used to maintain periodontally migrated teeth that have been repositioned and also used before periodontal surgery to stabilize mobile or moving teeth during postsurgical healing as such stabilization creates a more favorable environment for periodontal repair.
Splinting is the dental procedure used to join two or more loose teeth together in order to evenly distribute the biting forces amongst all teeth. Splinting is used to stabilize mobile teeth and to prevent drifting or tipping. Usually splinting of teeth is done to immobilize mobile teeth following a dental trauma.
Extra Coronal Splints
These are the splints which are bonded to the outer surfaces of the teeth to hold and stabilize the teeth together.
Intra Coronal Splints
These splints function through creation of small channel into the teeth and passing a preformed custom made metallic splint through it, which is then bonded or cemented together in place to hold the teeth together.
It permanently fixes the mobile teeth together by crowning all mobile teeth.
Occlusal splints are used to protect the teeth from excessive biting forces in individuals with parafunctional habits like grinding and clenching.
Moreover it is extremely important to take proper care once splinting is completed in order to maintain stability of teeth. Avoid biting too hard on the splint and consume soft diet to prevent any splint breakage. It is also necessary to maintain a good oral hygiene with regular brushing to prevent accumulation of tartar formation near the splints. Contact sports should be avoided until advised.
Indications For Splinting
- The main purposes of splinting are to provide rest where wound healing is in process and permits function where the tissues alone cannot perform adequately.
- To maintain periodontally migrated teeth that have been repositioned.
- It is usually required in addition to occlusal adjustment in moderate to severe periodontitis when trauma from occlusion is progressive.
- Moderate to advanced tooth mobility that cannot be reduced by other means and which has not responded to occlusal adjustment and periodontal therapy and when there is interference with normal function and patient comfort.
- In cases where nonsurgical and surgical periodontal procedures are difficult in the absence of tooth stabilization. It facilitates treatment of extremely mobile teeth by splinting them before periodontal instrumentation and occlusal adjustment procedures.
- Splinting is used to eliminate movements in the healing area after periodontal surgery since micro-movement of the surgical site may inhibit repair to take place in the healing area.
- Tooth splinting may be indicated for individual mobile teeth as well as for an entire dentition in cases where extraction and implant therapy is not a viable alternative.
- Prevention of teeth drifting after orthodontic treatment or when a tooth is missing.
- Prevention of mobility after acute trauma as in subluxation and avulsion.
Contraindications For Splinting
- When the treatment of inflammatory periodontal disease has not been addressed.
- When occlusal adjustment to reduce trauma and/or interferences has not been previously addressed.
- When the sole objective of splinting is to reduce tooth mobility whose etiology could be ascertained.
Perfect Dental® is the best dental clinic in Jamnagar and our team of specialist doctors is highly skilled and experienced best dentists in Jamnagar. We have a highest success rate of 97%.