Saving The Tooth Structure Is A Key To Long Lasting Dental Treatment
We try to save as much tooth structure as possible at Perfect Dental® in Jamnagar and hence we are very frequently using time tested restorations like Inlays and Onlays in our day to day practice.
Inlay is an indirect (laboratory made) restoration used to restore posterior decayed or damaged teeth, in which the damaged portion is too extensive to be treated with simple filling. It will incorporate and restore chewing surfaces of the teeth between the cusps.
While onlay is an indirect (laboratory made) restoration which is used to restore posterior decayed or damaged teeth, in which the damaged portion is not extensive enough to need a full coverage crown. Onlays will restore and incorporate one or more cusps.
Based on the nature of material used in their fabrication, inlays and onlay can either be gold type, porcelain type, composite type and zirconium type. Porcelain, zirconium and composite inlays are much more aesthetically appealing than the gold ones due to their close resemblance to the natural tooth color.
Inlays and onlays do not require removal of healthy portion of tooth and thus helps in preservation of natural tooth structure. Inlays and onlays are a more conservative procedure compared to dental crown, helping preserve more natural tooth structure. Porcelain and zirconium inlays do not chance color over time and are aesthetically appealing. Margins of both inlays and onlays are kept minimal which makes them easier to clean and further help in maintaining proper oral hygiene. Moreover they restore and strengthen the damaged tooth.
Gold inlay and onlay are made to order in a laboratory and then cemented into place. Gold inlays are well tolerated by gum tissues, and may last more than 20 years. For these reasons, many authorities consider gold the best filling material. However, it is often the most expensive choice and requires multiple visits.
Porcelain inlays or onlays and are produced to order in a lab and then bonded to the tooth. They can be matched to the color of the tooth and resist staining. A porcelain restoration generally covers most of the tooth. Their cost is similar to gold. This is the most widely used inlay or onlay at our dental center.
Perfect Dental® is known to incorporate latest dental technologies in our clinic and therefore we use the latest CAD/CAM technology to design and fabricate a custom inlay or onlay. This means you can leave the dental office with fully aesthetically restored tooth.
Frequently Asked Questions About Inlays And Onlays And Their Answers
Following is a guide to what you should expect and what care or precautions you should take after an inlay or onlay restoration procedure is done on you:
What You Should Expect
- It is common to feel mild sensitivity to hot and cold for a few days. If sensitivity to hot and cold persists for more than 3 days, please contact us.
- You may feel that your bite is uneven and there is something on biting surface of your teeth while chewing. If this feeling does not go away within 1 day please contact us immediately as you might have high points which may require little adjustment to give you maximum comfort while chewing.
- Fillings do not last forever. Regular dental checkups are essential to determine the integrity of filled or restored tooth and also for maintenance of general oral health.
- In some cases where you have received a very deep filling, you might feel mild pain, especially while chewing. The pain should go away in 1-3 days. If pain persists for more than 3 days, please contact us to determine cause of pain.
- If you have severe pain after receiving feeling, please contact us immediately.
- If the procedure was done under local anesthesia, you may feel numbness for 3-4 hours in certain parts of your mouth and face. If numbness persists for more than 12 hours, please contact us.
What Care Or Precautions You Should Take
- Do not eat or drink anything for 1 hour.
- Do not rinse you mouth with water, mouthwash or any other liquid for 1 hour.
- Avoid chewing from that side for 24 hours.
- Do not chew Pan or Gutkha with your restored tooth.
- If anesthesia was given in lower jaw than please avoid eating anything until the anesthesia wears off and the numbness is gone.
- If you have been prescribed any medication, take it regularly according to prescription and do not alter the schedule or duration of medication without consulting your dentist.
Perfect Dental® is the best dental clinic in Jamnagar and our team of specialist doctors is highly skilled and experienced best dentists in Jamnagar. We have a highest success rate of 97%.