What Care I Should Take During Orthodontic Treatment With Braces
Please follow below guidelines for the best outcome during and after Orthodontic Treatment
A guide to what you should expect and what care or precautions you should take while you have an Orthodontic Treatment with Braces is going on:
What You Should Expect
- In some cases ulcers or soreness may occur in the soft tissues, especially lips & cheeks following placement of orthodontic brackets. Please contact us immediately so that we can prescribe some medication for relief from pain due to ulceration or soreness and also the ways to prevent them.
- It is common to experience mild pain for approximately 3 days after an arch wire is placed on orthodontic brackets for the first time. If pain persists for more than 3 days, please contact us.
- It is common to experience mild pain or discomfort for approximately 3 days after changing of new arch wire. If pain persists for more than 3 days, please contact us.
- In orthodontic treatment, every case is a different case and the teeth movement and/or jaw growth modification required varies from patient to patient so the duration of treatment may vary widely depending on your case, on an average active orthodontic treatment lasts for about 1 ½ to 2 years and then 6 months to 1 year of retentive phase.
- You may get rubber bands or orthodontic elastics which you have to change yourself. You will be demonstrated at our dental center on how to change the orthodontic elastics yourself.
- After the active orthodontic phase there will be a retentive phase for almost every patient. During this retentive phase you will be given a removable appliance which you are supposed to wear for prescribed duration to hold the teeth in its orthodontically moved position.
- If you don’t wear retentive appliance for prescribed duration then there are chances that relapse may occur and the teeth may move to its original position again.
- During retentive phase there may not be any food restriction and you can enjoy your food like how you used to before orthodontic treatment started.
What Care Or Precautions You Should Take
- Continue brushing twice daily from the same day the procedure was performed. Good oral hygiene is a key to success of treatment.
- You may require a special orthodontic brush to brush effectively and also an interdental brush to clean areas that the orthodontic brush cannot reach.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after every meal.
- Patient will have to follow a special guideline for dietary restriction to prevent damage and dislodgement to braces.
- Most dietary restrictions include avoiding foods that are very hard or sticky like pizza, candies etc.
- If any bracket gets dislodged, please keep it with you and contact us to get an appointment to get it re-fixed on you tooth from where it came off.
- Keep your appointments regular and follow the scheduled given by your orthodontist, missing a lot of appointment can affect your total treatment duration and you may end up having an orthodontic treatment that lasts longer than discussed at the beginning of treatment.
- If you have been prescribed any medication, take it regularly according to prescription and do not alter the schedule or duration of medication without consulting your dentist.
Perfect Dental® is the best dental clinic in Jamnagar and our team of specialist doctors is highly skilled and experienced best dentists in Jamnagar. We have a highest success rate of 97%.