A guide to what you should expect and what care or precautions you should take while you have an Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner treatment going on for straightening of teeth:
What You Should Expect
- You are on your way to getting a beautiful smile you always wanted. Results with Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner are always beautiful and stunning.
- With Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner you will always get predictable results.
- With Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner you will be able to see post treatment results on a virtual set up on a computer, even before the treatment is started. This gives you a chance to make a decision and also modify the treatment and deliver most satisfying smile you desired.
- It is common to experience mild pain or discomfort for approximately 3 days when you start using a new set of aligners for the first time. If pain persists for more than 3 days, please contact us.
- Experiencing mild pain or discomfort is not only normal but it is an important sign that the aligners are working and are actively moving your teeth where they need to be.
- Unlike conventional orthodontic treatment with braces, you will not have any food restrictions with Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner treatment.
- Unlike conventional orthodontic treatment with braces, you will not have any interference while brushing and you will be able to do brushing and flossing like how you used to do before the treatment started.
- Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner are virtually invisible and so someone would rarely notice that you have a treatment going on for straightening of your teeth.
- Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner needs to be worn for 23 hours a day. You can remove them only while eating, drinking anything other than water or brushing and flossing.
- In some cases where your teeth need to be jumped over the other teeth, you may be given occlusal bite blocks on the aligner’s biting surface which may be slightly discomforting especially while talking.
- You may get attachments on teeth, which are made of clear composite material or buttons to help the aligners express certain movements.
- Each time you place your aligners, it is very important that you check to be sure that the attachments are engaged properly.
- Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner never affect speck like regular orthodontic treatment with braces, however during the 1st set of aligners, it can take a day to two to speak normally as your tongue gets used to the aligners in the mouth.
- Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner may temporarily affect your speech slightly. Any minor disturbance in normal speech caused by aligners will disappear within the 1st week at the maximum.
- With Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner the duration of treatment is significantly shorter compared to orthodontic treatment with braces.
- In orthodontic treatment with Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner, every case is a different case and the teeth movement required varies from patient to patient so the duration of treatment may vary widely depending on your case, on an average active orthodontic treatment with Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner lasts for about 6 to 12 months and then 6 months to 1 year of retentive phase, followed by night wear for as long as you can.
- After the active orthodontic phase with Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner there will be a retentive phase for almost every patient. During this retentive phase you will be given a set of Aligners like appliance which are not actively applying pressure on your teeth unlike the aligners and which you are supposed to wear for prescribed duration to hold the teeth in its orthodontically moved position.
- If you don’t wear retentive appliance for prescribed duration then there are chances that relapse may occur and the teeth may move to its original position again.
- Lack of co-operation or lack of aligner wear can result in additional treatment.
- At the end of your first series of aligners, it may be necessary to wear another series of refinement aligners before the plan is complete.
What Care Or Precautions You Should Take
- Continue brushing and flossing twice daily from the same day the procedure was performed. Good oral hygiene is a key to success of treatment.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after every meal.
- Unlike conventional orthodontic treatment with braces, you will not have any food restrictions with Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner treatment. However aligners must always be removed when eating or drinking anything except water.
- It is highly recommended to brush your teeth every time before re-inserting aligners in your mouth cause large food particles may prevent proper insertion of aligners.
- You can only have cold or room temperature water while your aligners are still on.
- Any fluid will get inside aligners and be held against your teeth for hours and can cause staining or damage the teeth and aligners.
- Do not chew gum while wearing aligners.
- Do not smoke while wearing aligners. It can stain aligners and teeth.
- You will receive aligners in sets of upper and lower in zip lock packets with numbering on it. Once you have used one set make sure to place back in the same zip lock bag (as per the number on bag) from where it was taken out and store it in a safe place until your treatment is complete.
- You are suppose to keep all the components, attachment templates, trial aligners and active aligners till the treatment is complete.
- If aligner gets chipped, broken or loose, please contact us promptly and we will determine whether you need another set of same aligner.
- If an aligner gets lost, contact us and we will determine if replacement of lost aligner is needed or you can move to next set or aligners.
- Keep your appointments regular and follow the schedule given by your orthodontist, missing a lot of appointment or not wearing Aligners for prescribed duration can affect your total treatment duration and you may end up having an orthodontic treatment with Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner that lasts longer than discussed at the beginning of treatment.
- If you have been prescribed any medication, take it regularly according to prescription and do not alter the schedule or duration of medication without consulting your dentist.
Insertion And Removal Of Invisalign® Or Invisible Clear Aligner
- Make sure you have the right aligner. “U” stands for upper and “L” stands for lower and the number represents the sequence.
- When inserting, gently push the aligners over the front teeth and then apply pressure on the back teeth part of aligner until they snap into place.
- Do not bite on to aligners to fit into place.
- Make sure aligners are all the way down and fully seated.
- You can make use of aligner “chewies” supplied to you to make aligners properly seat on your teeth.
- If aligners are not fully in place, the teeth will not move properly and next aligner set will be even further off.
- To remove the aligners, pull off equally on both sides of the back teeth part of aligners first and then gently lift off the front part.
- You can make use of aligner remover, provided to you in the kit.
- Do not use any sharp object to remove your aligners, in the process you may damage the aligners.
- Avoid unnecessary removal of Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner to prevent damage to it.
How And When To Wear Your Invisalign® Or Invisible Clear Aligner
- Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner only work when you are wearing them.
- Wear your aligners 22 hours a day. We recommend you wear your aligners full time, day and night.
- The only time the aligners should be removed out of your mouth is when you are eating, drinking, brushing your teeth, flossing or cleaning the aligners itself.
- Wear each set of aligner for prescribed time of duration as directed by the dentist.
- You never go to the next aligner sooner than the prescribed time, even though it may seem that the current aligner is loose and no longer moving your teeth actively.
- If you miss some days of wearing your aligners for any reason, start from the set where you left off and wear that particular set of Invisalign® or Invisible Clear Aligner for full 14 days minimum before going to the next set or consult your dentist.
- If you have lost or broken your current set that you are wearing and for some reason you are unable to visit us or contact us then start with wearing the next set if you have it and if you still don’t have the next set, please wear previous set until you contact us.
- Always place the aligners in the case provided to you in the kit. Never place it in the pocket or napkins, tablet case or anything.
- Never discard any old aligners. You will receive aligners in sets of upper and lower in zip lock packets with numbering on it. Once you have used one set make sure to place back in the same zip lock bag (as per the number on bag) from where it was taken out and store it in a safe place until your treatment is complete.
- Always bring all the sets of your aligners to each visit at our dental center.
Care Of Aligners
- Clean your aligners prior to each insertion using your toothbrush. Rinse under running water and brush until clean.
- Never use denture cleaner or soak in alcohol or bleach, as they will be damaged.
- Don’t place aligners in boiling or hot water to clean, as they will get deformed or damaged.
- There are special water soluble tablets available for cleaning aligners called “Retainer Brite”, you can make use of this tablets a few times a week by soaking you aligners for a few minutes to clean them.
Invisalign® or Clear Aligners
If the tray is lost or not worn, the teeth will tend to drift. This is why it is so important to wear the trays for at least 22 hours a day and to wear retainers for up to a year after treatment is finished. If you don’t wear your aligner regular as prescribed by your dentist then the duration of treatment may be prolonged and you might have compromised results.
The best results from your aligner treatment are obtained when your teeth fit perfectly in each aligner before you move on to the next. By biting down on chewies a few times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time, you will help seat the aligner, which means the aligner fits tightly against your teeth.
Too work effectively, aligners requires self-discipline and patient compliance. Those who wear their aligners for less than 22 hours a day will see much slower results, and while a couple of hours here or there won’t derail your progress, forgetting to wear them for a week can have more serious consequences.
Most people say that they can feel the aligners, especially during the first couple of days, push against the teeth. This is not a painful sensation but it is present.
Too work effectively, aligners require self-discipline and patient compliance. Those who wear their aligners for less than 22 hours a day will see much slower results and while a couple of hours here or there won’t derail your progress, forgetting to wear them for a week can have more serious consequences.
Perfect Dental® is the best dental clinic in Jamnagar and our team of specialist doctors is highly skilled and experienced best dentists in Jamnagar. We have a highest success rate of 97%.